~The Electrical Journeyman leads a team of up to three apprentices to plan layout, install and repair wiring, electrical fixtures, apparatus, and control equipment and maximize productivity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1) Plans new or modified installations to minimize waste of materials
2) Measures, cuts, bends, threads, assembles and installs electrical conduit, using such tools as hacksaw, pipe threader, and conduit bender
3) Oversees or participates in wire installation with conduit and cable trays.
4) Splices wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads with knife or pliers, twisting or soldering wires together, and applying tape or terminal caps.
5) Connects wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment, using hand tools
6) Installs control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, relays and circuit-breaker panels, fastening in place with screws or bolts, using hand tools and power tools
7) Connects power cables to equipment, such as a motor, and installs grounding leads
8) Test continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components, using testing instruments, such as ohmmeter, battery and buzzer, and oscilloscope
9) Observes functioning of installed equipment or system to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation or replacement
10) Involved in training apprentices
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: For this position, travel within 100 miles of the Salina, KS area will be required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Has a valid Nebraska Journeyman's License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and use hands easily and skillfully. The employee is frequently required to climb and maintain balance on ladders and scaffolds. Reach for, handle and grasp wires and hand tools, bend crouch and work in small places, and lift and carry objects weighing 50 to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, recognize slight differences in shapes or shading, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often exposed to high, precarious places, risk of electrical shock and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must adhere to the rules of construction while on the construction site. Hard hat, safety glasses provided by Interstates.
Interstates is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides a drug free work environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, gender, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Interstates complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.